Monday, February 14, 2011

5 Years ago today...

I would have never guessed if you asked me five years ago today that it would be the day I met my husband....
Would you like to hear the story?
Five years ago I was a sophomore at Greenville College. My friend was going on a date with this weird/nerdy guy she met, Marion, and began begging me to go with her because they had decided to bring friends along for buffers in case it went bad....It was laundry day for me and I had fully come to terms with the fact that I'd put off doing laundry long enough that I desperately needed my good cute clothes wearable again (plus my t-shirt stash was running dangerously low...) Anyway I'd settled down to start sorting my loads when Tressa (friend) walked in and started trying to talk me into going on this double date with her. I kept saying how I needed to do laundry and that I didn't have anything to wear. She kept telling me just how great this guy was, how wonderful he was, etc. I asked her if he's so great why don't you go for him? She laughed and said she wasn't his type. She then dragged me over to her friends dorm room, Kendra, who had a picture of the guy I was supposed to be stuck with on this "date." It was a picture of them white water rafting on a youth group trip. Boy did he have nice built arms. I contemplated it and then remembered hey, you have no good cute clothes clean. Pft, that did it I was again set against going.
And then it happened....the guilt trip above all guilt trips...she said..."So you're going to let me go alone on this date with two guys? What if something happens to me? You'll feel guilty for the rest of your life."
That did it. I knew if she was going to stoop to that kind of guilt trip there was no getting out of it. So I threw on a crappy blue hoodie, jeans and flip-flops- yes I was insane enough to wear flip-flops in February. I knew I didn't look good, I was tired and cranky and all I wanted to do was just stay home and wash my laundry.
We got in her car and headed up to IGA where we met the guys. We then decided to head up to Dairy Queen where we sat and talked for about an hour. It wasn't anything special, it wasn't that fun, it didn't even seem like we cared about being there...(later I found out that Tyler's friend talked him into going by saying they were going to go hang out at a girls dorm! haha! we both got tricked into going!)
Then once we finally decided to call it a night, I was walking toward the car when he hollered after me, hey, can I get your number? I said sure and I gave him my number.
When we got back to the dorm rooms that night Tressa called him and asked if he liked me and when he was going to call, by the end of the conversation she had talked him into calling me that very moment. We spent the next hour talking. A week later, he asked me to be his girlfriend and we've been together ever since.
Who knew that in those five years we would fall in love, get married, and have a baby. Life sure is full of surprises but I wouldn't trade them for anything!
Happy Valentines Day, Tyler! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment