Monday, January 10, 2011

Recipes Needed!

Okay, Tyler and I are trying to become better about how we spend our money. One thing we have agreed to do is cut back on how much we go out to eat...I won't lie we often get lazy and talk each other into going out...plus we haven't gotten groceries in several weeks so our pantry is pretty well empty...When I do cook I feel like I make the same things all the time. So here's my question for you...what are some of your favorite recipes? Send me a link, type them out in the comments section, whatever works easiest for you!
My goal is to plan a menu then go to the store and get the items we need...Tyler and I are in a terrible habit of getting what looks easiest and quickest to cook. I want this to change. I'd like to make things from scratch or almost from scratch that is!
So, please, comment and let me know what some of your favorite recipes are!

3 comments:

  1. The crock pot is my best friend! It keeps meals just as simple (or even more so) than quick boxed or frozen meals. We buy roasts (any kind - whatever's cheapest or on sale) and either season them with Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning packets or half a bottle of italian dressing. I just put in my frozen roast and seasoning and turn it on. Done!

    We also buy whole chickens and turkey breasts, and they're just as easy. Just take them out of the packaging, season them however you want, and pop them in the oven. (We do these from frozen, too!) These meals may take longer to cook than hamburger helper, but they're actually less work for you.

    Oh, thought of another quick favorite, haha. Frozen chicken breasts in a baking dish. Top with cheese (we use provolone slices) and one jar of alfredo sauce. Bake for an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother-in-law bought me a slow cooker book for Christmas, I agree with Adrien-- It is AMAZING. You basicly just throw in whatever you want and set the timer! The clean-up is easy because you are only washing the crock, a spoon and knive, and the dishes you eat off of. And also, I am hearing that there are little inserts that you can put in your crock pot so that after you cook, you can pull the plastic out and pitch it and there is no mess! I have no idea where this book came from, but I'm sure you could also find some easy recipes online. Or just make up your own!

    I put 6 pork chops in my crock pot (seasoned with pepper) and dumped in a big can of cream of mushroom and a can of sliced mushrooms and let it cook about 4 hours. I just made some mashed potatoes and green beans on the side, it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrien- I tried the roast with ranch and it was great! I'm turning the leftovers into BBQ sandwiches tonight- two dinners out of one dish!
    Sara- Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking forward to trying the pork chops!
    I'm for sure going to start using my crock pot more often!

    ReplyDelete