Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top Chef Inspirations!

Oh I've been trying to figure out what to make for dinner all morning. I feel like my brain is fried and I'm just tired. And honestly, I really truly wish I could just ask Tyler to order a pizza tonight...I might. Our lives have been way too hectic lately and it will be nice to finally have sometime to relax.
I watched Top Chef yesterday! It seriously makes me wish I had more cooking skills and liked to eat weird foods. It also makes me envy the fact that they get to make so much stuff from fresh produce, meat, etc. How much more delicious would our meals be if I could make everything from scratch? I'm serious, Richard Blais made homemade mayonnaise and then froze it in nitrogen and then fried it along with other stuff all in a matter of 40mins. Who does that? I realize they are running around like nuts making it all but seriously that show makes me wish I could cook like that. Oh yes, I realize I probably could but I'm not ambitious enough. Although it has helped me realize I should pre-plan my menus so I can actually make the stuff I'd like to instead of saying: oh shoot, we don't have anything other then two required ingredients for that.


Okay, I realize my food will NEVER end up looking like that...and honestly when I see their plates of food it makes me wonder if people actually get remotely close to full after eating it or if it's actually a decent serving size on the worlds largest plate.
I won't lie, part of me wishes I could do the whole cook through a cookbook thing like the movie Julie and Julia however, I'm not that ambitious and I probably wouldn't want to eat half the stuff I find. But, my goal is going to be to try a new recipe once a week. Something from out of a cookbook, suggestion from family or friends, etc. that will hopefully become a new family favorite. I feel like I cook so much of the same stuff that I need to really try and stretch myself.
So my new goals: cook something new once a week and plan my menu in advance so I can get the necessary groceries for all the things I'd like to make!
Do you have any recipes you haven't been brave enough to try? Want me to give them a shot and see if they are worth the effort? let me know what they are and I'll let you know how "do-able" it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment